Tuesday, November 2, 2010

CMIT













So I've had this tin can for awhile and I've been trying to think of something really creative to do with it.....and nothing! No ideas. I just have a plain white tin can. Then as I was walking the aisles in my local Walmart, there is a gingerbread house kit-----and BAM! It hit me, a gingerbread house tin, that you could fill with mini gingerbread men, 'cause it's a pretty shallow tin after all. So Thank You Walmart for inspiration!!! :)














So, to start you need a tin can, preferably white, but even silver would work ok. Now I love this paper pack from American Crafts "jolly," and for making a gingerbread house, it's perfect! I measured my tin, cut my paper to that size, and started rounding the corners. Gluing the paper to the tin is the stressful part, you have to get it perfect. I recommend using Zip Dry for this, you can slide it around a bit if you need to line it up.
Next I measured and cut my roof. I cut the scallops at the bottom by hand, trust me it looks better this way! But before you glue it to the tin, add your ribbon, so you can tuck in the corners. Deciding to add ribbon after you have it glued is not fun! It can be done though. :) To finish it off I added a bow and button, tied with hemp.
Now this is the fun part....playing with all the mini dies. They are all from Quick Kutz's "jolly" set. Aren't they cute?
I cut out the "tag" die from 2 different papers, and then glued them both to the tin, next I added the "gingerbread people" die (I had to cut 2 to get enough people to go across the tin). They are glued to the tin with pop-up dots. Now I went back and added small pearls to the gingerbread girls and large pearls to my tag. Note: You can buy prima e pearls that come in various sizes, in one package, or the "swirl" designs, and just cut them apart with an exacto knife. My last die used is the "Be Jolly" saying.

Making this tin was alot of fun, so remember.....before you throw away your old altoid tin can, think of what you can make with it!!! :)

Love the supplies used today? Check out CMIT's online e-bay store for the paper, dies and pearls. http://stores.ebay.com/Creating-Everlasting-Memories?_rdc=1

3 comments:

  1. Great idea for the tin, it could even be a perfect give set of mini note cards for a special friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful idea! You can never have enough containers for Christmas goodies! This is so colorful and Holiday looking!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a darling idea, Rita!!! LOVE this!!! ;~)

    ReplyDelete